Medical Electrical Installations
Formerly referred to as MEIGaN (Medical Electrical Installations Guidance Notes) training, this two-day course has been revised and updated to include the latest editions of BS7671:2008 (2015) Requirements for Electrical Installations, IET Wiring Regulations, Part 7 Section 710 Medical Locations which replaces the MEIGaN document. It also explains the requirements of the Department of Health guidance HTM 06-01 (2017).
The course teaches participants the requirements for the design, installation and testing of Electrical Medical Installations.
Copies of all notes and presentations will be provided.
Who should attend? Electrical contractors, Electricians, Medical Engineers, Healthcare Estates Staff and anyone wishing to gain a better understanding of the technical requirements for medical electrical installations.
The lead presenter is Ian Chell MSc FSRP. Ian recently retired as the Department of Health Policy lead for Radiations. He conceived and lead the first draft of MEIGaN while at MHRA. Ian was a member of the latest HTM 06-01 working party. He was previously an x-ray engineer with Siemens Medical for over 20 years.
The Royal College of Radiologists award 6 CPD points to healthcare employees who attend this course.
Courses can be delivered at the clients site upon request.
Day 1: 10.00 am – 4.00 pm
Day 2: 9.00 am – 3.30 pm
- HTM 06-01 structure and ethos and BS7671 section 710 (Medical Locations)
- Related documents
- Department of Health policies
- Proposed Electrical Safety Group within Trusts
- Patient/business risk
- Significant additions to HTM
- Governance and risk
- Overview of Medical IT
- Radiology specific issues
- Regulatory framework
- Network Supply earthing configurations
- Mains resistance
- Wiring protection
- Leakage currents
- Electric shock and risks with devices
- Medical location groups and how they are determined
- Medical IT and final circuits
- Patient environment and applied parts
- Installation failures
- Equipotential bonding and preventing micro shock
- Testing of medical locations using earth bonding meters, mains impedance meters and for voltages on earth systems.
For details of course dates and pricing go to: